Saturday, March 31, 2007

Zoie ~ Our New Puppy!

As you can tell from my title we have a new addition to our family. Zoie, our new puppy, is a 7 1/2 week old rat terrier. I bought her from a lady that I work with that lives near Canova. Onna was SO excited yesterday afternoon when I picked her up at daycare. I told her we were going to a farm to pick up Zoie and she could hardly contain herself! They had two puppies that were both females. One was a little smaller and had a smooth coat like the mother, and the other was a little bigger and had the wire coat like the dad. We picked the bigger one with the wire coat. She seemed more mellow and just more friendly. I think she will be a good fit with our family. As for right now, she's confined to my kitchen and unfinished basement. Once she's potty trained she'll be free to roam the rest of the house, but I don't feel like cleaning puddles out of my carpet.

I think our cat, Gracie, is feeling a little disturbed by the whole situation. I'm not sure if she's mad at me, or scared of the new little stinky noise-maker. At first she just ran away from Zoie. Now she hisses at her, and if she smells her scent on my hands she growls. I know it will take some time for her to get used to the idea, but eventually I think they will be friends. Gracie has been an only-pet for almost 3 years now. That will be quite an adjustment for her.



You'll have to excuse the early morning "bed head". Onna was so excited when she woke up this morning, she didn't even finish her cup of milk!


For anyone who has ever wondered why Onna wears glasses here is why:


At about Thanksgiving-time last year we started noticing that her right eye would wander in. Now whenever she doesn't have her glasses on, this is how it is. Thank goodness, that they make small glasses, and the testing is accurate enough to get a good prescription for her.

Neb treatment update: She's still doing neb treatments three times a day. Her cough is pretty deep now, but at least it is loose. Her nose is really runny, but it is still clear, so that is a good sign. She was really crabby this morning, and is already down for her nap. I guess that's good because then she can sleep as long as she wants without disrupting her bedtime routine tonight.

My DIET update: I learned the other night that I am on a diet whether I want to be or not. With the new medicine I've found that small portions is all that I can handle. My mom is an awesome cook, and she made shrimp alfredo for supper the other night. It was delicious! I had a very small first helping, so I decided to have a second helping. About half way through my second helping I started to feel full. Well, since it was SO good, I finished it. About 20 minutes later I became VERY sick. I know that it was because of my medicine. This happened one other time after I ate lunch at school. So, I'm going to learn portion control whether I want to or not. If I don't I will defiantly suffer the consequences!

Cute Onna story (and then I'm done, I promise): Yesterday morning, as I was backing out of the garage,

Onna said, "Momma, we goin' at daycare?"

I corrected her, "No, Onna, we are going TO daycare."

She sharply "corrected" me and said, "No MOMMA, we goin' at ONE daycare!"

Our language is SO confusing. It was so funny because technically she was right, but so was I. It was one of the "pick your battle" moments. So I told her, "You are right Onna, we are going to ONE daycare."

Well, my weekend is going to consist of laundry, potty training and hopefully some naps....have a good one!

5 comments:

  1. The new addition is cute.
    Have they ever said that her eye will eventually fix itself or will it stay like that the rest of her life? And if so would surgery correct it? Cause Mike was born cross eyed. He had surgery on both eyes to help correct them. Granted they aren't completely correct, his glasses still correct what is left. Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The doctor said that her presription doesn't completely correct her vision, so that way her eyes still have to work. That is what "normal" kids' eyes do. We are hoping that we each set of lens we can go a little weaker and eventually wean her away from them. The other thing is that children are born far-sighted and get more near-sighted as they reach adolescence. (Then we go back to getting far-sighted again.) So maybe she won't need them eventually. But glasses aren't the worst thing in the world. My adjustment to them was worse than hers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kari - I assume you took Onna to a pediatric ophthalmologist, right? My husband also has a lazy eye. Later in life he found out that he should have had surgery on it to shorten the muscle behind the eye. I would think it might be worth looking into. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey...it's a little WILSON (referring to Zoie)

    I knew a little girl who also needed surgery to correct her lazy eye. After surgery-NO GLASSES.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute pictures of your daughter and puppy.

    ReplyDelete