Thursday, March 22, 2007

Psychiatrist Appointment

As I start this post, I realize that it is rather ironic that this topic follows the domestic violence one. The strange thing is, I can't blame my ex for this problem (at least not completely)!

I had my psychiatrist appointment this afternoon. I was very NERVOUS. I've never been to a psychiatrist before and I wasn't sure what to expect. This psychiatrist is originally from Howard. My mom has worked with him through her job, and I used to work with his Dad when I worked at the nursing home. His mom is also friends with my grandma, so it was comforting to know that he knew my family and history.

When I first got there, I had some more papers to fill out, and then I met with a nurse who took my vital signs and reviewed my medical history. Then the doctor came in and we went to his office. He was dressed very casually (a polo shirt that wasn't buttoned or tucked in, and jeans). He only comes to the Madison office once a month, so his office is pretty bare. He only has a clock hanging on the wall. There is a desk, two chairs and and end table. The desk and end table were piled with charts.

He was really funny and relaxed. We went through my whole history, and he asked A LOT of questions. He asked everything from where do live, where do you work, do you have a boyfriend, to very detailed medical questions. I was in his office for about 45 minutes.

He decided to discontinue my Paxil (40 mg), and he going to start me on Effexor XR at 75 mg twice a day (breakfast and supper). He said that this drug works similar to Paxil but does a few more things.

Then he also started me on Topomax. He wants me to take 25 mg twice a day for two weeks, and then increase to a full tablet (50 mg) twice a day after that. After discussing my history of headaches (and medical testing to rule out other causes) he decided to treat them with the Topomax. He said that Topomax sometimes causes people to lose weight (about 30% of those who take it), some are able to stop gaining weight (about 60%), and the rest gain weight (10%). I would be really happy just to stop gaining weight. Since I started on Paxil last summer, I've gained 12 pounds. I'm trying not to freak out too much about it yet, but I want to get a handle on it before it gets too out of control. He also noted that Topomax isn't officially used to treat anxiety, but there has been positive results for people who have been on it. He said that Topomax has sometimes has some rough side effects and it takes a few weeks to get used to taking it. He said that after a couple weeks, if it's going to work for me, I'll know.

I need to go back for a follow-up appointment in a month. Please pray that this combination will work for me. The roller-coaster that I've been riding for the last few years is starting to make me motion sick!

5 comments:

  1. Topomax is hard to get used to and I am not sure if it is going to work for me. I think that I would be better on a medicine that I would only have to take like twice a week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the new medication works better for you. Sending thoughts and prayers your way! Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will certainly be praying for you and this new combo and for the roller coaster ride to turn into a nice smooth ride on a sailboat :)


    (off-topic: Someetime, if you get the chance, I would love to see the picture you commented about on my blog! It sounds so special)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the medication works for you...and the side effects aren't too unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm praying for all the best for you.

    ReplyDelete