One thing that I forgot to mention in my last post is that last Friday was the two year "anniversary" of when I left Andy (Onna's dad, my ex-husband). It was really crazy because I'd thought about it earlier in the month, but I didn't think about it all that day. I was really busy on Friday, because my sister, Onna and I went shopping in Sioux Falls. I thought about it on Saturday afternoon, as I was getting ready to go out.
Two years, 730 days.... what a difference two years can make! For those of you who don't know my story. Andy was abusive to me. He wasn't one that would punch me and leave a bunch of bruises, but he was very emotionally and verbally abusive. He has a severe anger problem, and that was multiplied greatly when he'd been drinking. He was one to throw things, and punch holes in the walls. There were incidents of him throwing chairs, a hammer, and even a pan of macaroni and cheese. Two years ago today, was probably even harder than the day I actually left. I'd left him before (the average abused women leaves 5-7 times before leaving for good), but I'd always gone back. Two years ago today, I was living in a shelter, with my very sick (with RSV) three month old infant. It was blizzarding and I hadn't slept in almost a week. To say it was scary and stressful, doesn't even begin to describe what I was feeling.
Now... I have a house, a stable job (two of them actually), a happy and SAFE little girl, no money (but I have control over the little bit that I do earn), and my sanity! THANK GOD, my family and my friends for that!
I have a PowerPoint presentation that I did at school last October. Since October is National Domestic Violence Awareness month, I decided to share my story with our students. I spoke to the high school English classes and the junior high Geography/American history classes. It was a healing experience for me as well as informational (I hope) for them. I don't have it saved here at home, but when I get back to school tomorrow I'll try to get it saved and posted.
I'm at home today with a migraine. I woke up with it this morning, and took my medicine. Then I got ready for work. Usually the medicine helps (so I can at least function) and I'm able to continue working. Today was awful though. I came home eat noon and slept until a little after 2:00. I don't want to sleep anymore because then I will mess up my sleep tonight and be doomed tomorrow! I'll go get Onna in a little while and hopefully she's in the mood to watch Barney while Mom lays on the couch. Maybe I can convince her into go to bed early tonight.
Wow! That was quite the story. Sorry to hear about that.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear things are going well for you now.
I'm sorry about your migraine headache. Those are no fun! Hope you feel better soon.
I haven't felt well the last 4 days.
I'm hoping to feel better soon.
Kari you have come so far and I am so proud of you for the choices you made and for sticking to it not just for you but for Onna. I hope you feel better soon!
ReplyDeleteI hope you feel better...I know that being sick with children is not easy.
ReplyDelete