Friday, January 12, 2007

Doctors?!?!?!

Thank goodness for doctors, but sometimes I wonder what the heck are they thinking???

I took Onna to the doctor on Wednesday (see previous post). Yesterday she slept almost all day. She was only awake for about 1 hour, and while she was awake, she just laid there and watched TV. Last evening, I'd taken her over to my mom's house. I was beginning to go crazy sitting there 24/7. She came up to me and said, "Onna tired." I noticed that her checks were flushed again, so I took her temp. I'd been rotating Tylenol and Motrin. It was about time for another dose of Motrin. Well her temp under her arm was 101.8!! Since you add a degree under the arm I realized that it was actually 102.8 and that's high enough to make me very nervous. So I gave her Motrin while my mom and I debated on whether or not to take her to the ER. I called over and the doctor on call was one she's never seen before. Mom then call the PA that lives in Howard. She has a little girl that is a couple months older than Onna. Her daughter was sick last week, so Mom asked her what her symptoms were. She ran a fever, but not that high, and she did not have a cough. So Mom and I decided that we would brave the cold and take her in. We got the car warmed up and packed the diaper bag. We loaded her up, and were just on the edge of town, when she "woke up" in her carseat and said, "Whoa, BIG TRUCK!" Then she started laughing. Mom and I then debated again whether or not she needed to go to ER. After driving around town for a few minutes we decided that the Motrin had done it's job, and we could go home.

We got her carried in, and I put her to bed at about 10:00. While she's sick, I sleep in her room with her. At 1:30 a.m. I woke up to her moaning. I reached over and felt her, She was BURNING up. I quickly took her downstairs to do more Motrin. When I walked into the kitchen she puked all over. I cleaned that up and gave her medicine. She was asking for juice, so I gladly got her something to drink. I took her upstairs and she puked again. I took her temp and it was 102.8 under her arm! So then I frantically called my mom, and she said to call the ER nurse. The nurse told me not to repeat the Motrin since we couldn't tell how much she'd kept down. She said that I could give Tylenol. So I did that, and then she drank some more juice and fell back to sleep.

At 6:00 a.m. she woke up again. This time her temp was 101.2 under her arm. I gave some more Motrin and juice. She then rested until it was time to get ready for her appointment. I took her back to Dr. Beecher at 10:20 this morning.

My mom rode along with me this time. When we got back to the room, the doctor said that it could still be something viral but she still wanted a chest x-ray and a blood count. So we did the blood count first. The lady that did it was someone that I didn't know but she was a witch with a capital B. She yelled at Onna for not holding still when she poked Onna's thumb! Pretty sure Onna's been through enough this week without being treated like that. Then it was time for the x-ray. Onna did an awesome job, and got to stand on the step like a big girl. It was kind of cool, because I actually got to see the x-ray this time. I've never seen hers before. It's not like I know what I'm looking for, but it was still pretty cool.

When the doctor came back in the room, she said that Onna has pneumonia, and that she need two rounds of rosephrine (I don't know how to spell that). She had to have a shot in each leg today, and a shot in each leg tomorrow. Then she'll have to be on Zithromax. I was frustrated that this wasn't handled differently on Wednesday when I was there. Maybe we wouldn't had to use such aggressive treatments. The good news is that rosephrine works quickly, so hopefully we'll be able to go back to school on Tuesday.

That reminds me, that Tuesday will be the 16th of this month. We get paid on the 24th of each month. So far this month (because of Christmas break and now Onna's being sick) I've worked 4 days!!! YIKES! I keep telling myself not to freak out yet, somehow it will work out.

Onna has been talking about the doctor all day. She all of a sudden likes doctors (because she likes Dr. Phil). She's been saying Dr. Beecher and Dr. Mitch. Dr. Mitch is really funny because up until today she's been terrified of him. Oh well, whatever gets her over that fear. She told my dad and my sister today about her appointment. Her pronunciations are a little off, so she said that the doctor "poke Onna's winky" (she meant finger) and "poke Onna's leg, two!" (she means both legs).

She was really funny yesterday when she woke up from a nap. She hollered at me from her room. She used her very scratchy, sick, demanding voice, and said, "MOMMA, SWEETHEART A-WAKE!!" This was extremely funny to me, because she's been saying lately that she's "Momma's sweetheart". She says it so clearly and it really melts my heart. The fact that she used it in such a demanding way was the funniest thing I'd heard all week!

We had a tramatic event at our house too. Onna got twin dolls from Santa this year. One wears yellow, and the other purple. She also got a doll from Grandma Woodford, and she won one at the grocery store. She named her twins, "baby Deb Book" (they are both named that). She named the one from Grandma Woodford "baby Eric", and the one from the grocery store is "baby Jo-watt" (Joseph, as in Mary and Joseph). Well, she's wanted to take a baby everywhere, usually it is baby Jo-watt. Some time this week we misplaced one of the baby Deb Books (the purple one). I've searched my house, checked my mom's house, and haven't been anywhere but the clinic. I know she took one with her one Wednesday, but I can't remember which one. Hopefully I didn't leave it there. I guess I can check in the morning.

3 comments:

  1. I am gald they finally did something for her...she is so funny with the things she says and her interest in "dr Phil" just cracks me up!! Hopefully you find the doll!! Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping she's feeling better soon! What symptoms were the definate PNEUMONIA? Just curious because Caymen is sick and I wouldn't know...I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy, Onna's symptoms were a fever, cough, runny nose, and she was sleeping a lot. With her asthma, I've learned which cough is "just asthma" and which ones aren't. I'm pretty sure when I took her in on Wednesday that she already had pneumonia, but the doctor said she couldn't hear it. The PA over here, said that her lungs were maybe so tight that it couldn't be heard. When I talk about hearing it, I mean that there is a rattle in her lungs. Sometimes I can even hear it without a stethoscope. I can also feel it with my hand when she is breathing. Usually with pneumonia it affects the lower left side, because that side hangs lower in our body. So with gravity that is where the "junk" settles. The other reason we knew for sure that it was pneumonia and not just a cold is because they did blood work and a chest x-ray. The blood work showed that it was a bacterial infection, and the chest x-ray showed the spots that the doctor couldn't hear. Hopefully that helps!

    ReplyDelete