Out of the blue last evening, I received a phone call that depending how I react to it may alter my career path for the rest of my life!
When I went out last Saturday evening for supper. I visited with a lady, Cathy, that lives here in town. I know her but I've never really visited with her before. So last night, she called my house at about 9:15 p.m. She introduced herself, and then asked me if I wanted a job. At first I was confused because I thought she was ordering a cake. So I asked her what she meant, and she repeated herself, asking if I want a job. I then said, "What exactly are you talking about?"
She went on to explain that she works for the Credit Union here in town. They have been advertising for a part-time position, but they have decided that they want someone in there full-time (if they can find the right person). She said that after we'd talked she really liked what she heard, and thought that I would be a good fit for this job. They are hired a Member Service Representative, which is basically a teller. BUT, if they hire someone full-time they would have some assistant manager duties as well. She also explained that there is a full benefit package with medical, vision, life & disability along with paid vacations (and bank holidays off, of course). I asked her about the wage, and here's the problem, right now their starting wage is over $2.00 an hour LESS than what I'm making now. The advantage would be that this job would be year-round, so I wouldn't have to do the golf course in the summer.
I stopped down and talked to her for about an hour after school. I looked over the benefit package, and job description. She was excited when she found out about my degree, and was really pumped when she found out that I had an emphasis in Marketing (she said that is a weak area for her).
I'm really not sure what I should do now. I'd just decided that I wanted to go back to school and finish my education degree. That would take me 3 more semesters. I had begun to have some second thoughts about this, because I watched the "regular teacher" in an IEP the other day. I sat there and thought that the majority of her day isn't teaching, it's writing IEPs. I'm not sure that I want to invest in 3 more semesters of school, just to get stuck behind a computer writing IEPs, and not teaching!
I think my plan of action will be this... I'll return a resume and cover letter to the Credit Union. Then when I go in for my interview, I will talk to them about the wages. I feel that with my degree it would benefit them, so they should be willing to pay me accordingly. If not, then I have my answer.
Onna didn't have a neb treatment during the day today. She sounds like she needs one tonight though. I'm so glad that she's getting back to normal, whatever that is, right?? LOL
Wow Kari sounds like you have a real decision to make...I would definately go with your plan! You should be paid according to your degree and it would be nice if you could use it and not have to go back to school for longer time when you already have a degree!! It sounds good for you otherwise!! What did your parents think? Keep me posted!!
ReplyDelete