Thursday, December 4, 2008

My sick little girl...

POOR ONNA! I thought I was doing the right thing when I got her the flu shot. She did fine the first two days, and it's been down hill ever since.

First she had a headache (Friday and Saturday before Thanksgiving), then she started running a temp (Sunday and Monday before Thanksgiving). I took her to the doctor and he said that's been a common side-effect of the flu shot this year.

Then over the holiday she started coughing, and coughing, and coughing... by Sunday night it had gotten really bad. So bad in fact that everything that I usually tried to get her to stop, didn't work. She even ended up vomiting! She slept alright that night, but then Monday morning (this week), she woke up still coughing. Again I had trouble getting her to stop so I took her to the doctor again. He said that she need antibiotics and started her on Zithromax.

She went to daycare Tuesday and Wednesday. I took her to gymnastics last night because she seemed to be doing better.

At about 3:30 this morning, she yelled for me, "MOM! I puked!" I hadn't heard her coughing, but she was right. She had.

This morning, I got her up and gave her a bath. She seemed so tired and looked pale. She complained that her "stummy" hurt, and then asked for "the puke bucket." Luckily, my mom already had taken the day off, so she babysat while Onna stayed home with the flu.

Poor little girl... it's been two weeks... we put lights on her fire truck so she could ride in the parade of lights here tomorrow night. Now she won't get to because she's not healthy enough.

She's been sleeping since 2:30 p.m. She's had 7-up to drink and has kept that down, but hasn't tried any crackers or toast. We'll see how she feels when she wakes up.

Her birthday is Monday.... the party is Sunday... I hope she's better by then.

5 comments:

  1. Poor Onna. I hope she feels better for her b-day party. Poor thing. That sucks if it is all from the flu shot. Now makes you question whether to get her one next year. Hope she feels better and tell her Happy B-day from us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-(


    Did the doctor really say it's a side effect from the flu shot?! If so, I'm not getting one next year.

    I sure hope she feels better. If she's coughing a lot, ask your doc if she can take Mucinex (over-the-counter). It seems to help my son. But read the box, of course. The orange package shouldn't be used with decongestants like Dimetapp (that's what the Lewis guy told me).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Onna. I hope she's on the mend real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fever was from the flu shot. The cough was from a sinus infection... probably secondary from the flu shot. That's why we did antibiotics. The stomach flu was just part of going to daycare... bad timing. She's feeling bettter today. Keeping our fingers crossed for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and JM- she does take Mucinex, along with a bunch of other meds for asthma and her allergies-all approved by her doctor of course.

    ReplyDelete