Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Happy Birthday Onna

Onna's birthday did NOT go as planned. The original plan was to have a party on Sunday afternoon with family and friends, and then Onna was going to take treats to daycare on Monday (her actual birthday. She was going to go to gymnastics Monday evening, and then open presents from my parents on Monday evening.


Here is what actually happened. I cleaned most of my house on Saturday, got the cakes decorated and had all the decorations and everything ready. Early Sunday morning (about 3:00 a.m.) the fire whistle went off. I listened to the scanner for a while, and thought that I had heartburn. I drifted off to sleep. I woke up about 5:30 and realized that I had more than just
heartburn. I spent the entire day on Sunday with a bad case of THE FLU!

So we postponed her party until Monday. I called everyone and told them the bad news. Onna watched shows while I suffered through the morning. Around noon, I called my friend Melissa. She was just leaving church and was nice enough to rescue Onna and me! She baby-sat Onna for the afternoon while I tried to recover. Later that day, my dad went and got Onna and she ended up spending the night at my parents' house. Onna was so good that day, but I tell you what, she was just so busy. I could barely take care of myself let alone her and me! THANK YOU MELISSA!



By Monday evening, the weather here had turned bad. We got out of school early, so Onna's party turned out to be pretty lame. Melissa came early and dropped off Onna's present. Lisa and Mike and given her their present on Sunday. My dad was in Sioux Falls for meetings, so the only people at her "party" were Mom, Sara and me. John came over later and had some cake and ice cream with us. We wore party hats and sang to her. I think she had fun. That's what counts right?



I'm thinking that since I'd made two cakes (and I left one in the freezer), I'm going to have Barb and Laura meet us after gymnastics next week. Then she'd at least feel like she got to celebrate with her friends. She did get to take treats to daycare and they sang to her, so it's not like she's totally deprived. I just have another whole cake to get rid of.





Oh and I forgot.... Onna's favorite gifts...

1. Polly Pocket Ultimate Party Boat: From Aunt Sara

2. Pajamas: from Grandma and Grandpa

3. "Soft pants" (sweat pants): From Grandpa and Grandma

4. CANDY: from Grandma Jean

She didn't mention the books from Lisa and Mike, the new leotard from Mommy, the bike basket from John, the books that John's mom sent, or the Doodle bear from Melissa. She also hasn't even gotten her presents from our friends in Madison yet. I was surprised that pajamas and "soft pants" made the list before candy! I asked her last night and again this evening and I got the same list, in the same order, so that must be the way it is.

Happy Birthday Onna! Mommy Loves You!

2 comments:

  1. I really don't think kids mind if it's a small party. My son will be six years old, and we have yet to hold a large birthday party for him. It's always been just me, my hubby and him.

    I think as long as you're with her, she's fine.

    Yummy looking cakes, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear that you were sick for Onna's birthday, but I completely agree with Just Mom. As long as you're there, she was probably one happy little girl!

    ReplyDelete