Sunday, November 23, 2008

Supper at Laura's/ update on Onna/ 4-day week

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON FOUR DAY SCHOOL WEEKS: CLICK HERE

Last night was SO much fun!

John, Onna and I went to Laura, Mark, Sean and Sophia's house. We met Dawn, Mike and Kaylee there. Dawn, Laura and I have been friends since kindergarten (that's a LOT of years!). Our families had supper together. The kids played with their toys. The adults visited and played the Wii. It was very fun, relaxing and something that we should do a lot more often!

After Onna's flu shot, she did great for the first two days. I kept up on the Motrin/Tylenol routine and she did not run a fever. By Friday morning though, she was a very unhappy camper! Even though she was not running a fever, she was a sick little girl. She was complaining of a headache, and had a runny nose. By the time she was awake enough to tell me what her problem was, it was too late to call in to work. I told her that if she would go to daycare until "after breakfast", I'd come and get her. My schedule is bad in the morning. I have my hardest inclusion class (Algebra I) and two classes that I teach. After that the rest of my day is mostly inclusion, so they could manage for a day without me if needed. So I brought Onna home after 3rd period and we rested most of the day. Last night wore her out. She's been lying around all day today and is really pale. Hopefully she feels better tomorrow.

The buzz around Howard is that the school board is gathering info about changing to a 4-day school week. We've had presentations from another school who currently use the 4-day week format. The other school lengthened the school day from 8:20 a.m.-3:30 p.m. to 8:10 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. Monday-Thursday. The teachers are still there on Friday and are available for tutoring. Any student with a grade of D or lower is not required, but "strongly encouraged" to come in for the extra help. The length of the school year is not extended. The students don't get out for Monday holidays (except for Labor day week- they attend Tues-Thurs). The weeks of a Monday holiday the teachers get their holiday the Friday before, then there is no extra help available. So I'm curious... what do you think?? Would you want it changed?

1 comment:

  1. What do all the kids do on Fridays when their parents work?

    As a daycare provider I wouldn't have room for all the school age siblings (if they need daycare).

    I don't think it's a good idea...

    But that's just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete