Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The dreaded FLU SHOT

I got my flu shot a few weeks ago at school. Onna has been dreading getting hers ever since. She HATES going to the courthouse because she knows the County Health Nurse, Barb, works there. Although she's not this Barb, she happens to be a very good friend of mine. Unfortunately she ends up poking Onna almost every time we are there. Last time we were there (for a WIC appointment) Barb told us that Onna was way too old for a sippy cup. That was not good news at our house! Onna was used to getting a sippy cup of milk every morning and one each evening. At first it was a rough transition, but now it's ok. She uses a "regular cup with a straw." It is kind of funny though because every time I say the name "Barb", Onna asks "Which one, Barb the nurse, or the other one?"

Anyway, back to the flu shot, Onna has been saying that she is NOT getting a flu shot. They did a flu shot clinic at the schools and at Onna's daycare and she REFUSED to get one. I thought about the mist, but I was nervous about her not getting the full dose with all of her respiratory issues. Today I had to go to the clinic to get some follow-up labs for my thyroid. We were at the clinic after school. Onna asked, "Am I here to get my flu shot?" I said, "Are you ready to get it?" She said, "Sure." So we did it! She was pretty brave, and only started crying once she saw the needle. Then she really cried when the poke came. I would have preferred to get her shot at the end of the week, because she usually runs a fever the next day. When a kid is ready for a shot though, you have to do it right?

There was a really funny part about the shot though. The main reason that made it blog-worthy: Onna's friend Emily was at the clinic at the same time. Emily's mom is a counselor and must have been meeting a client there or something. Emily was playing in the office when we got there and was SO excited to see Onna. (It had been all of 30 minutes since they'd seen each other at daycare.) Anyway they played in her mom's office while I had my lab work done. Then it was Onna's turn. Emily obviously heard Onna crying and was waiting outside the door of our room. So picture this a little red-headed 3 1/2 year old standing at our door. The nurses open it and Emily shouts at them "WHY DID YOU DO THAT!?!? YOU MEAN DOCTORS!!" She pushed her way right into the room and gave Onna the biggest hug ever. As her mom and I tried to explain to her that the nurses were trying to give her a shot to keep Onna healthy she said, "It's ok if she gets sick. She can just get medicine and stay home!" Then as we were on our way out the door she was still consoling Onna, she turned to her. Emily said, "Those doctors are mean and sassy!" Her mom and I had a really hard time keep a straight face. She was being a really good friend to Onna. Sometimes it's hard for those girls because they are both only-children. They are either best friends or they can't stand each other. I'm really glad that she had a friend there to make it a little easier on her.

1 comment: