Monday, November 24, 2008

Parent/Teacher Conferences

I had Onna's parent/teacher conference last week at preschool. Her teacher asked me what I wanted Onna's goals to be for this year. I wasn't really sure what to tell her. Onna will be turning four on December 8th. She knows how to write her first name, recognizes numbers 1-10, can count to 20, can count 15 items, and recognizes all of her letters. Her teacher said that they are working on letter sounds and recognizing numbers 11-20. I know that Onna wants to write her middle and last names because she's been asking me to spell them for her. They also do lots of drawing, cutting, pasting, etc. Onna will have the rest of this school year and all of next school year in preschool.

I told her that what they are working on sounded really good. We decided that we would have Onna work on just her middle name right now, and correct the way she makes her lower case a at the end of Onna. (She makes the tail going straight out.) They will also continue working on recognizing numbers 11-20.

Since I am the overprotective/worry-wart type mom, I also e-mailed one of the kindergarten teachers. She's the one that really likes Onna. I asked her what she thought good goals for kindergarten would be and here is her response:

Hi Kari!
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet, things have been so busy lately. Sounds like Onna is doing great in Preschool. How is she doing with getting herself ready for the outdoors, zipping, snapping,etc. It is also very helpful if they can tie shoes. Since Onna is already recognizing her letters and numbers you could also have her practice writing them, which she may already be able to do. Does she know her birthday, phone number, and address? They do not have to know these things coming into Kindergarten but it is sure helpful. Thanks for being concerned and such a helpful parent, we need more like you! Let me know if you need anything else. Have a great week and a Happy Thanksgiving!
Nancy

That is SO helpful. I guess Onna can do the coat (needs help starting the zipper), hat, mittens thing at daycare, but she WON'T do them at home. We haven't started tying shoes yet. She's asked a few times, and I try to say it out loud while I do it. Most of her shoes are not shoes with ties though. She does know her birthday, but not phone number and address. I guess now we have plenty of stuff to work on! :)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds as if she's doing just fine.

    Everything will come in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sounds like she is catching on and doing great!!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete