This is Onna's new phrase ever since Darcy (the daycare director) came back from maternity leave a few weeks ago. Obviously Darcy says something similar to this a lot, and Onna picked up on it quickly. She's used it many times, and several of these times it made me laugh.
One time was when I opened the blinds and she saw it was snowing out. She said, "Momma, it 'nowing out! What we gonna do about that?!" What am I supposed to say to that?!?! I said something like "I'm not sure there is anything we can do about that."
Another time she was being kind of naughty. We were at my mom's house and she had the dog's tennis ball. Onna is not allowed near the steps to the basement, and she knows this. Well she'd been playing with this ball, and having a great time. Well she got a little twinkle in her eye, and threw the ball down the steps. Then she turned to us, and with a completely straight face said, "What we gonna do about that?" My mom and I were both sitting there and it took every ounce of self control that we had not to completely lose it! It was SO funny, but SO naughty. We tried not to laugh, and explained that since she threw it down there, she wasn't going to be able to play with it anymore. She was mad for a minute, but then moved on to the next thing. Sometimes it's a good thing two-year-olds have short attention spans.
Yesterday Onna had a follow-up appointment with her pulmonologist, Dr. Wallace. She did such a great job there. She's gotten used to the whole doctor routine now. Unfortunately as soon as they called her name, she had to go potty. After she went potty, she went right over to the scale and slipped off her shoes. She stood up on the scale (28 pounds), and then also stood and let the nurse measure her height (33 inches). Then she followed the nurse into the room and asked when the doctor was coming in. After the nurse finished her assessment, we waited just a few minutes for Dr. Wallace. He had a med student with him. When they came in Dr. Wallace shook my hand and held out his hand for Onna. She gave him five.
He sat down, and said, "How old are you now, Onna?"
She answered, "TWO!"
He said (to me), "any hospitalizations?"
SHE answered, "NO!" (I shook my head, no)
He said (to me again), "so just the one incident of pneumonia in January?"
SHE answered, "Yes." (I shook my head, yes)
He said, "Wow, you are really smart, who drove the car down here today?"
Then Onna looked at him really funny and just said, "Yeah" (She obviously thought he'd completely lost his mind!)
We all laughed, and he said, "I bet your mom did since it's raining, right?"
Anyway it was a really funny conversation. Onna thought that she was BIG stuff talking to the doctor, and Dr. Wallace was impressed that she knew so many answers.
He checked her ears for me, because she's been complaining a lot about her left ear "itching". At our WIC appointment last week I'd had the nurse check it and she said that it was blocked with wax. She said she couldn't even see the eardrum, so the tube probably wasn't able to drain. I started using drops morning and night to get it to clear out, and huge chunks of wax (sorry that's gross) came out. Dr. Wallace said there was just a little bit of wax left lying on the inside of the canal and that it may be causing a little bit of irritation, but it shouldn't be causing any problems with her tubes now. So that was good news!
We talked about her medicine and about how well she's been doing. He said that he wants to decrease her dosage of Flovent around Memorial Day. He said that he wants to cut the dosage in half, and see how she does. Then he doesn't need to see her back until August. So that was good news!
The last thing we talked about is something I don't know if I'd mentioned on here yet. Onna's dad is due to be released on parole on April 23rd. I'm very nervous about this for a variety of reasons, but the main one is for Onna's health and safety. Dr. Wallace wrote a note for me stating that Onna is not to be exposed to cigarette smoke. It also states that she is also not to be in a house or car where smoking is occurring or has occurred. So that will be one more document that I can put in my file for when her dad and I go back to court. (That's probably what will eventually happen over visitation rights.)
So overall it was a good appointment. I'm glad we were finally able to squeeze it in. This was the appointment that was originally scheduled for February 28th, when it started to blizzard. I saw the forecast, chickened out and rescheduled the appointment. This was the first available date when there was an afternoon appointment (which means I don't have to take off a FULL day from work).
This has been a long week. I'm looking forward to the weekend. I'm working on a birthday cake, for a little girl who is turning one. I'll try to get a picture posted when it's finished.
that is a cute phrase that Onna is saying, "What we going to do about that."
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that she had a good dr. appointment.
She is too funny Kari....and way to smart!! I am glad you asked Dr. Wallace about the smoke seeing's how you know it will be a problem in the near future! Hopefully he will finally take it serious!! Good new's on the appt though!!!
ReplyDelete