Okay, I need some advice from all of you moms out there. My daughter goes to a daycare center. I am happy with the care she gets there 99% of the time. We live in a very small town, and the only other option for daycare would be one of two in-home day cares (neither of which I'm comfortable with).
There is one BIG issue that we've had for several months. One little girl (B) is a biter. She has bit Onna numerous occasions. For a while I did a great job of keeping track, and then I got better. Lately I haven't done such a good job. In the last month, Onna got bit by a boy (H) a girl (M) and three time by (B). The bite she got today was on her upper left arm. Every time B bites her it bruises. I'm not talking just little teeth marks, but all out BLACK and BLUE! I have pictures, but my batteries on my camera is dead. I'll post some later.
I've talked to the director about this numerous times. She's so nice and I like her a lot. She assures me they are doing their best to get a handle on this, but their hands are pretty much tied as far as what to do. They use time-out as punishment, and they use "shadowing" as a pro-active measure. Well their "shadowing" today resulted in Onna plus at least 3 others being bitten.
One day last week I dropped Onna off at about 7:50 a.m. The staff that was working told me that B had been up since 3:00 a.m. Her comment was "So she's going to be a bear later". I really wanted to say that Onna better not get bitten, but this particular staff is related to B, so I didn't say it. Well, that day at 10:00, Onna got bit on her back. Guess who did it?? B, of course. I was SO MAD! I went in that day and talked to the director again. She told me the same thing.
I don't know what to do. I have to work. I know that other than the bites, she's very safe there. She's got a ton of friends. She learns SO much. We both LOVE the staff. They are flexible with my schedule, and there aren't any other good options here in town.
What do I do next??
WOW...what a subject. I would KEEP talking to the director. When I was a director...we actually LET A CHILD go for biting. There is only so much a person can do and biting is a hard one. I know you can't MAKE the director of your daycare let a child go for their behavior...especially if one of the staff is related to her but that's uncalled for. I would be upset too. But, like you said, you don't have any other options. You are doing what you can. Talk to the director...make your concerns KNOWN even if you have to do it over and over.
ReplyDeleteGOOD LUCK!
Hello, I found your blog through another so I hope you don't mind my comment.
ReplyDeleteI went though the same things when my daughter was 2. She always got bit by the same little boy.
As had as it may be, you may have to get stern with your daycare provider. I did the same as you and said nicely that it needed to stop and I heard the same thing as you did. "We are trying our best". It wasn't until I firmly said that it NEEDED TO STOP NOW!! If never happened again!
I hope that helps! It is no fun to have to be stern but when it comes to our kids, we can only take so much before things need to change!!
I'm sorry I don't have anything to offer - but I do hope you are able to find a solution. Jamie's comment sounds like it worth a try.
ReplyDeleteThis a horrible part of daycare! I think what Jamie said is right and it will probably be hard but it HAS to STOP NOW!!! Don't give up!!
ReplyDeleteYes, I agree. Just talk to the daycare provider about it.
ReplyDelete