Monday, February 18, 2008

All about Onna

I have a few cute Onna stories that I haven't taken the time to share, so I thought I would use my day off from school to do just that.

The first one has to do with clipping her toenails. Usually this is quite a task, so I've resorted to letting her hold a piece of candy while I clip. Then when we are finished she can eat the candy. This accomplishes two things: it distracts her and keeps her hands busy, and gives her a postive reward for doing something she doesn't like to do (aka BRIBE). Anyway, one day last week, I was clipping her nails, and I'd picked a laffy taffy for her. Usually she likes those, but that day she decided she didn't want it. I told her that if she sat still that when we were finished she could pick a different candy out of the bucket.
Pretty soon she asked me if she could open it because she wanted to " 'mell it".
I said, "You want to smell it?"
She said, "Yeah, 'mell it, and wick it"
Then I said (laughing), "You want to smell it and lick it?"
She said, "Yeah, 'mell it, and wick it, and take one bite. Well, maybe eat it all gone, and then get 'nother one!"
How funny is that?!?! What a little negotiator!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The next story is about a time out that Onna had. We've had issues in the evenings when it's time to leave Grandma and Grandpa's house. She doesn't want to get her coat and shoes on. If it wasn't 20 below zero, I'd just scoop her up and take her home, but since it's so cold. I have to "make" her put them on. Plus there's the whole point that when I tell her to do something, she has to do it. So this one night, I'd told her to get her shoes on. She told me no, and I was losing my patience. I'd offered to help her, and she curled her toes, etc. So I started counting. She knows that when I get to three, it means a time-out. I also reminded her of this while I'm counting. She ended up sitting in time-out that night, which most of the time is harder on me than it is for her. We were in the dining room of my parents' house, and she sat there for the 3 minutes. When her time was up, I told her that she could get out of time out as soon as she put her shoes on. I set her shoes next to her, and she then THREW one at me! So I then left the room! I went into the living room, which is right next to the dining room. There is a very large doorway between the two rooms, and we had all the lights on. My dad suggested shutting the lights off in the dining room to remove attention from her. (This would not put her in the dark because of all the light from the living room.) So I reached back and shut the light off. She then started crying the great big alligator tears. It was all I could do to keep from crying myself! My sister when in to the room to talk to her, and Onna stood up and said to me, "It's not nice to shut the wights off on witto kids!" (deep breath) "And I'm a witto kid!!"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The last story is about daycare. It's not very funny, but it shows how much my family helps me out. It was last Tuesday morning, Onna had gotten to bed too late the night before. Then we've been having issues with milk at daycare that just added to the trouble. Onna made it sound like things had been going better with the milk thing, so I didn't think it would be a problem, but apparently it was bothering her again.

I managed to get her dressed, but she refused having her hair combed, potty, or get shoes, coat, glasses, etc on.... finally at 8:15 (the bell rings at school at 8:20) I called Dad in a panic. He said to bring her over and drop her off with him. He told her that they were going to daycare. He got her stuff on and walked her there!

Then I called Heather (the daycare director) and she said that she'd had a talk with Onna. Onna told her that she'd been naughty and made her mom late for work. Heather talked to her about the milk thing, and said that Onna would only have to take "one gulp". She said she wouldn't have to finish it if she didn't want to. I asked Heather to let Onna know that I'd called.

Thank goodness Dad was around to take over. He was calm with her, but stern. I'm glad because I was losing my cool!

After Onna and Heather had their talk, and Dad walked her to daycare, the rest of the week went a lot better. So hopefully this week goes ok. We were off today for Presidents' Day and next Friday for State Wrestling. That means we only have school on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week. That's good because I don't feel well at all. I got runned over by another bad cold.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As if that isn't bad enough I pulled another "slick one". We went over to Laura and Mark's yesterday for the Daytona 500. It was a lot of fun, and the kids had a great time playing together. After it was done, we stopped at Mike's and said hi for minute. Hopefully they don't all get sick too! Anyway, Onna didn't get a nap, so she fell asleep on the way home. I started to carry her in from the car and in all my natural grace I biffed it on the ice. I was carry her, so of course I was worried that she would get hurt, which thank goodness she didn't. (She didn't even notice!) I on the other hand, really bruised up my right knee. At the time, my biggest concern (other than Onna) was that I'd ripped my jeans. I only have two pairs that fit right, so that would be a tradegy if I ripped one of those! Once I got inside, and realized my pants were ok, I got Onna settled in. My mom came over to pick some stuff up from my house, and she looked at it. She got after me for not iceing it. (I didn't think about that.) So today along with my cold symptoms which make me oh-so attractive, I have a purplish-black spot on my knee that's about the size of a softball. Yeah slick!

** One last thing, I didn't realize how much I depend on spell check until it doesn't work. When are they going to get that fixed anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment