Friday, November 24, 2006

Sometimes I feel like such a failure!

Last night/this morning is one of those times that I wonder why God thought that I could take care of a child! Onna has asthma, and is on Flovent inhaler. She's been on Singulair, but we discontinued it because it didn't seem like it was helping much. She's been on Albuterol nebulizer treatments, and recently was switched to Xopenex/Atrovent inhalers.

She saw Mitch two weeks ago and was doing great! She had a bit of a runny nose last weekend, but then it cleared up and she was great the beginning of the week. Then on Wednesday afternoon she started coughing. By Wednesday evening she was coughing to the point I started neb treatments again along with Dimetapp cold and cough. I continued neb treatments and Dimetapp all day yesterday. Then last evening I did Dimetapp and a neb treatment before she went to sleep. She did fine until 2:00 a.m. when the medicine wore off. I gave her another dose and another treatment. She was awake then until 6:50 a.m.! She then fell asleep, and at 8:00 I called the clinic. Luckily they were open, so I took her over to Madison. She normally sees Dr. Beecher or Mitch, but since it is a holiday they were not in. She got in with Dr. Jennings, who has never seen her for this before. I had my list ready of the 8 times that Onna has been on Prednisone in the last year (because that is what she needs now). She decided that she didn't want to put her on Prednisone, because it might be a cold that will pass in a couple days, and she's not running a fever yet. Well, I've been through this so many times now, and I'm pretty sure it won't pass on it's own. The good news is that Mitch will be in tomorrow so I guess if tonight goes bad, that's what I'll be doing in the morning.

I feel like such a bad mom when this stuff happens. Why does my kid get sick all of the time? Am I doing something wrong??? Why can't I help her to stop coughing? I've tried EVERYTHING, and she continues to hack and cough until the point she pukes. Plus I'm so tired. I felt so guilty last night, but since she couldn't sleep I put in Barney and I dozed in the chair while she watched him. I knew I had to get some sleep, but she couldn't sleep at all, poor thing!

Now today, she slept from 6:50 a.m. to 9:10 a.m. when I had to wake her to take her to the doctor. She slept from 2:00 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. for her afternoon nap and that's it. So far she hasn't had a "melt-down" but it's probably just a matter of time.

At 7:00 I can give her more cough medicine and another neb treatment. Hopefully that does the trick and we both can get a couple hours of sleep.

That's all for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment