I LOVE the weekend! I get to spend time with ONNA. Last night I got to spend time with LAURA. I got to see MIKE. I stopped at BARB's house last night. She wasn't home, but her sister was babysitting, so at least I got to see her kids. Today I get to babysit the BOYS. Who could ask for a better weekend than that?
I'm feeling better. I see the doctor on Thursday, and I definitely need to do that, but this week has been better. It probably helped that we didn't have school yesterday.
Speaking of no school yesterday, Onna had an eye doctor's appointment. She did an AWESOME job. It's amazing how a year made such a difference in her development, and her evaluation. I think that they were probably able to get a much more accurate prescription. Last year, the doctor used the computer to scan her eyes, and then hand lens and a special "flashlight" (it has a real name but I don't know it) to find the right prescription. This year she was actually able to read the picture chart to tell them what she could see. It was cute because she started off really strong, and then we they got to the part where she couldn't see, she got quiet and then said, "Uh, I can't see that very well." Ok, that's exactly what we needed to know. I was surprised at how little she was seeing in her right eye again, even with her glasses on. I'd noticed some turning though, with the glasses on in the last few weeks, so I was wondering if they would need to change her prescription. They will, and we will be ordering new glasses. They don't keep very many frames of her size in stock, so once they will have some sent in. Then next week, we will pick the new ones out.
She got mad at me after the assistant left the room. She read the picture chart, and in the mirror, she saw the chart with the E, and other letter behind her. It was the backwards one, but since she saw it in the mirror it was forward for her. She asked about it, and I told her it was for bigger kids and grown ups that knew all of their letters. She said, "But I know all of my letters!" She pretty much does, but they didn't know that.
She was not impressed with the drops to dilate her eyes. They do that in such a neat way. They had her lay on my lap, close her eyes, then put the drop on each inside corner of her eye, then when she opened her eyes, the drops went in. It worked great! It probably wouldn't work well for a second time though.
Another thing that was a good idea that I wanted to share was at Onna's daycare. I'd never seen this before, but it was for kids that are having trouble figuring out which shoe goes on which foot. The preschool teacher drew arrows in her shoes, so that when her shoes are off, and the shoes are sitting the right way, the arrows point toward each other. This has worked so well for Onna. Now she can put her shoes on by herself!
I don't remember if I posted about it, but a couple weeks ago, I took Onna to the birth-5 pre-kindergarten screening. She did really well in almost every area. Some areas like problem solving and language, she even tested in the 5-6 year old range! The one area that she's "behind" in her development is in self-help skills. It's putting on her coat and shoes, going potty and washing hands, bathing and washing hair, getting dressed including zippers and buttons. Onna can do all of these things, but she CHOOSES to have me do them for her. A lot of the time I chose to do them to because it's a lot faster. The screening was good, because I realized that I'm actually "harming" her by not leting her do things for herself. So that's what we've been working on for the last few weeks, and she's made great progress!
Well, the kids are getting hyper, I better go find something to entertain them. I think we are going to make spiderman cupcakes today. Their dad's birthday is next weekend, so I'm going to let them use up some of the frosting in my freezer and decorate them for him. It solves two "problems" for me: 1. gets rid of the frosting 2. keeps the kids busy
I better go....
Stopping by to say hello and catch up on your blog.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you have been busy.
I liked taking my kids to those preschool screenings too as it was always great to find out what areas they were ahead in, on track in, and behind in. I always found out things that we could work on at home.
Have a great weekend.