Friday, March 21, 2008

Dr. Appointment

Wow, another week flew by already!

I wanted to give a quick update about my doctor appointment that I had yesterday afternoon. It was a good appointment and one that was very much needed.

He increased the dosage on both of my medications. My previous doses were Topamax: 100 mg am and pm, and Effexor XR: 75 mg am and 150 mg pm. Well my new doses will be increased gradually so that I will be taking Topamax: 200 mg am and pm, and Effexor XR 150 mg am and pm. He was concerned about the frequency of my headaches. He was also concerned with my weight gain. He said that if that hasn't gotten better by next appointment (in July) then we will have to look at changing to a new med (instead of Effexor). I expressed concern about increasing the Topamax. I don't like the side effects of that med. I experience a lot of tingling in my hands and feet, and I last time I increased it, I had a lot of bruising that occurred on my legs. (So I decreased it.) He really wants to try to increase it again for a while and see if it helps, and then we will reevaluate it again at my next appointment.

He also actually used the term "obsessive compulsive" with me! I know that I have some tendency to act that way, but to hear it from a psychiatrist was a little bit scary! He said it because I track my weight fairly closely. Last year I was doing that Healthy Challenge at school, so I had to enter my weight into the computer. Well, once my weight was entered it took two seconds to graph it. This year I'm not doing the Challenge, but I still track my weight. Before my appointment, I quick graphed it so he could see how much I'd gained. It's a pretty significant amount. (Which by the way, he says can be a side effect of Effexor.) When he looked at the graph that's what he referred to a obsessive compulsive behavior.

I have to share an Onna funny. The other day I was taking her to daycare. She asked me if this new boy B. was going to be there. I said "I think so. He should be here today. I think he's a nice boy. Do you like him?" After a really long pause she answered, "Yeah, I don't hit him or punch him or anything." Well, that's good. I guess that's how three-year-olds rate their friendships, based on if they hit or punch them??? Does that mean she does hit and punch other kids?? Yikes! It was pretty cute though, because she really does like this little boy, and they have quickly become good friends.

Onna was also really cute this morning. I let her sleep in, and she got up around 8:15. She came into my room and said she was tired. I told her that we didn't have to go anywhere today. She said, "So we will be bored?" I said, "No, we just don't have to go anywhere." She then got very mad at me and yelled, "NO, MOM, If we don't have anything to do then we are BORED!" Well, I guess she is kind of right. Sometimes it's good to be bored.

I'm working on golf course stuff today. I've typed up the new menu and have it almost finished. I have to finish sewing the new cover for the high chair. I've had all winter to do that, but you know how it goes, why hurry right?

I don't go back to school now until Tuesday morning. So I'm hoping to do some cleaning at the golf course too this weekend. We will hopefully be opening on April 1st.

Also my brother and his girlfriend are back from Rapid for Easter. Mike is going to paint a trailer for my brother. So that is one more thing that Mike had to fit into his very busy schedule. I'm glad he was able to do that, but I hope it doesn't stress him out too much.

I better get going. I think Onna's getting hungry. Have a Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment