Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Doctor Appointment

I took Onna to the doctor today (well actually the PA here in Howard). She knows Lori well, because Lori's daughter goes to Onna's daycare.

This all started almost two weeks ago with a runny nose. By the weekend, she had developed a cough. My mom was babysitting and was very concerned. I was at work, and mom said that even with neb treatments and cough syrup she was having a hard time keeping Onna's cough under control. She discussed taking her to ER to get her started on Prednisone. I had some Prenisone on hand (because she'd refused some a while back, so we switched to pills instead of liquid or something, I can't even remember for sure why I had it). Anyway, I knew I had enough to make it through until Monday to save us the trip to ER. So Mom gave her to the dose, and then when I got home I checked her over. I realized that the "cough" medicine that they'd been using wasn't the right medicine. I didn't actually have a cough suppressant in it. Once we got her switched over to the correct cough medicine, she did much better. I didn't give any more Prednisone, and I didn't end up taking her to the doctor. I did continue neb treatments and cough medicine. By the end of the week she seemed to be doing a lot better.

This last weekend, she went to my grandma's house with my mom and dad. I sent the neb machine and cough medicine along. She needed cough medicine and a few treatments.

She seems to do just fine while she's up, but as soon as she lays down to sleep, she starts coughing like crazy. I do the propped up to sleep thing, but even that doesn't seem to help too much. So last night, we fell asleep on the couch. We been asleep about 45 minutes-hour. She woke up coughing (this was after cough medicine and a neb treatment). She was coughing so hard that she VOMITED all over herself, me, and the couch (it's gross, I'm sorry!!)! That's when I decided it was time to see the doctor! She had one more episode of coughing and vomiting at 4:00 a.m.

So this morning I took her in and Lori said her lungs sound very clear! That's great! I mean it is, except then why is she coughing? My theory is (and Lori said the same thing) that her allergies are flaring up and then when she lays down to sleep it drips down her throat and makes her cough. So our new weapon is going to be a different cough syrup (I can't remember the name) that is a decongestant, antihistamine and cough suppressant. I'm supposed to use it before nap and at bedtime. Lori said it would make her drowsy, but from what happened this afternoon, I think the opposite was true!! I think I'm still going to use the neb at times. I heard some wheezing this afternoon, so I know she still needs that too.

To completely change the subject, I don't know if I posted yet that my sister Sara just got hired on at Onna's daycare. I'm kind of excited. Sara will be a freshman at DSU this fall, but she will still live at home. She has her classes arranged for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. She's going to work part-time at the daycare while she's going to school. If I can't be with Onna during the day, it's kind of cool that Sara will get to spend some time on Tuesdays and Thursdays with her!

One other thing that I completely forgot to mention is that we got a really exciting phone call last Friday. Right before Onna was getting ready to leave, she got a call from JAKE! He asked if he could talk to her, and they visited for 5-10 minutes. I think Onna was a little confused. She hasn't seen him since April. We talk about him a lot, but she kept asking me, "Is this a boy?" I was in the background trying to give her ideas about what to talk about like, "Ask Jake about school?" or "Did Jake get to go swimming this summer?" She got bored pretty quickly and handed the phone to me. I just talked to him for a minute or two. I asked him about school. He said he was going to be in 5th grade and that he had to get glasses. That was about all he had to say. It was neat to talk to him, but I'm not sure when he'll call again.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you guys got to talk to Jake!! It really is to bad that they can't be closer to eachother! I know it's not you, it just has to be hard for him! Glad you got something for her cough I know she has a hard time with that!!

    ReplyDelete