Monday, August 20, 2007

Back to the grindstone

Today was our day of teacher in-service in the morning, and a chance to prepare for our first day of classes (on Wednesday) this afternoon.

It was a relief to FINALLY get my schedule. We had a lot of staffing changes, so I knew the schedule that I'd received last May was going to be obsolete. I'm pretty happy with the way things are set up. I have three classes that I will be teaching (one math, one history/geography, and one English). The rest will be inclusion. I won't have ANY study halls this semester! I'm kind of excited about that in a way. Study halls are hard in the resource room, because you have to know how to tutor in EVERY class. In a way though they are kind of neat because they are a way that you can really make a difference in a student's grade (if the student is motivated). Originally on my schedule I had three study halls, so it was quite a change from what I had.

If you are wondering what I did one my long weekend without Onna, here is my list; work, sleep (A LOT), and eat (A LOT of snacks). That just about sums it up. I also snuck in a visit with Barb in her family because the tractor pull got rained out. Thanks Barb for helping me fill a few hours on a rainy Sunday!

I don't have to work tomorrow, so I'm glad to have a day off with Onna before really hitting it hard this next few weeks. We do have a holiday right away so that helps too. I really shouldn't complain. I do miss the kids a lot. I can't wait to see some of them. There are some though that it will break my heart when they walk through the doors, and their summer's were just as crappy as last school year. Some of the kids I work with come from some pretty tough homes. I guess I can see things from a different angle than some of the other staff. I really want school to be a place where they feel safe and welcome. I sometimes wish the staff would cut them a little slack once in a while. (Sometimes they do, but they need to be reminded!)

Anyway, I better get going. My brain is tired tonight. I don't think it's had to work that hard for a couple months. It's going to have to get back in shape in a big hurry!

2 comments: