Saturday, May 5, 2007

2 jobs + cake business = tired mommy and daughter

Wow! What a busy couple of weeks this has been!

A big change happened in Howard recently. Miner Alley which is our local bar and grill closed unexpectedly for some renovations. They will be re-opening again in June. Also Papa Jay's, our local diner, changed their hours to and are now only open on weekdays, and they announced that they will be putting the business up for sale. That means that other than Corner Pantry, the convenience store, the only place to get food during the evening and on weekends in Howard is the golf course!

That's been both good and bad for the course. Obviously the extra revenue is great, but our kitchen isn't really set up to be a full-fledged restaurant. We have a small grill and a small fryer. In the situation that we get large groups it is very overwhelming for our small kitchen. We also usually only have one person scheduled on staff at any one time. This person is the bartender/cook/waitress/cashier/etc. That doesn't work very well when we are feeding 30-50 people per meal. It's been a dilemma because we know that in two weeks Coach's Corner, which is our summer "drive-in" will open. Then when Miner Alley re-opens, they will reclaim their customers. BUT in the meantime we don't have enough staff! We are working crazy hours trying to keep up. The tips have been great, and at least we know it won't go on like this for too long.

Also, I've had cake orders coming in like crazy. That's good too, because for the last couple of weeks, that's been our grocery money! I did 5 cakes in 8 days last week. It's been keeping me busy. My next orders are for Kindergarten Graduation on May 11th. I have 3 orders, and a birthday cake for tomorrow. Then Sara's Graduation is May 19th, so I'll be doing her cakes for that.

We have two weeks of school left. I can't wait! Hats off to those of you who work more than one job on a regular basis (LAURA). I could NOT do this for very long!

It's been crazy busy here, so that's why I haven't posted for so long. We're doing fine, just surving until school gets out, then things should settle down a lot!

5 comments:

  1. Its good to hear from you again! To say you've been busy is an understatement!

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Kari!! I don't know how you do that!! I wish I had your ambition! It was good to hear from you !!

    I totally forgot about that pet peeve...I really try not to think about it unless I hear it!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have been busy.

    You take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know you made cakes! Is that your own side business? You'll have to post photos. Maybe you'll get orders from fellow bloggers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will post some pictures, but it probably won't be for another week or so. Graduation is next weekend, and then my schedule allow a little more time for fun things like blogging.

    ReplyDelete