Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Onna's still sick

I took Onna back to the doctor again yesterday. She saw Dr. Beecher this time. She ordered a chest x-ray and blood work. The blood work showed that she has a virus, and the chest x-ray showed bronchitis, again!! She said her tubes are still in and her ears look good.

She still has her appointment next week with Dr. Wallace. Dr. Beecher is sending all of her records, and I have to stop and grab her x-rays on her way there.

The doctor said to continue with neb treatments, expectorant, humidifiers, liquids and PREDNISONE again!! Her dosage for her age/size is 3 teaspoons twice a day. I was like yeah right try getting that down a two-year-old. So brillant me, I asked for the pill form. I knew I would have to crush it, but I thought I could disguise it. Well, Tracy will back me up here, there is no disguising Prednisone. It tastes NASTY! So I think I'm going to call the doctor back tomorrow and try the liquid again. So far I've only gotten two doses down her, and one came right back up!

I stayed home with her yesterday. Today I really tried to go to work, but I went in late, and was only there a little over an hour before I had to go get her. This morning she was complaining that her right ear was "itchy". That is the ear that we had so much trouble with, so I always get nervous when she says anything about it. Well, I used a Q-tip and cleaned the outer part of her ear (just where I could see). I got a big hunk of wax out, and after I did that it started to drain. I'm guess that the tube must have been plugged, because I've NEVER seen that much junk come out of her ear! It was clear but it drained for over 3 hours. No wonder she's been SO naughty lately!

She had a lot of potty accidents the last few days. It's good in a way because I know that she is drinking enough, but it's a huge hassle to change her clothes 3 or 4 times each day! She also has a problem that whenever she drinks much of anything (she's won't eat solid food) she immediately vomits! She throws up 1/2 to 2/3 of everything that goes down. I'm not sure why she does this, but it's pretty "normal" for her when she's sick.

Between vomit and pee, I've had my share of laundry to do this week. Onna lost two pounds from Wednesday to Monday. (I wish I could do that, but not by being sick!) She hasn't eaten much today, so far part of a banana, some pretzels and craisins, and ice cream. I did give her a strawberry Carnation Instant Breakfast after her nap. She drank all of it and only threw up about 1/4 of it!

She took a really long nap today. She fell asleep at 1:15 p.m. and I finally woke her up at 4:45 p.m. I felt bad waking her, but I would like to sleep some tonight too.

While we were home again, we wrapped Christmas presents. Onna had a lot of fun. Her job was to tape. She actually did fairly well, although there are several randomly placed pieces.

Hopefully I can get her feeling well by this weekend. She was sick last year for Christmas, so it wouldn't be fun to be sick again this year.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot imagine giving a child Prednisone! I know all too well how that makes a person feel. I couldn't imagine a poor child that doesn't understand. I hope your baby gets better soon! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete