Wow, I haven't posted in a long time! I've had such a crazy busy two weeks!
First, Onna had her 2nd birthday on Dec 8th. It was so much fun! She had a truck cake, and a pile of presents. It took her over 2 hours to open them all, because she wanted to stop and play with each toy, read each book and try on each piece of clothing/shoes. My mom, dad, and sisters came over for presents and cake & ice cream. She also took cupcakes to daycare.
I painted a kitchen set that was mine when I was little. This was part of Onna's present from me. I bought new accessories and a microwave to add to the set. She has already spent a lot of time playing with it.
Last weekend was the tour of homes in Howard. I had a lot of fun going to this. It was interesting to see all the homes and the beautiful Christmas decorations.
On Sunday evening we went to Disney on Ice. It was a lot of fun. Onna's never been to anything like that before. She didn't like Bruce, from Nemo, but she was really excited to see Mickey! I was nervous about how she would act, but she did fine until about the last 15 minutes. She got a little restless then, but two hours is a long time to sit still (even for me).
I made another cake for my new business this week. It was a birthday cake for a 10-year-old girl. She wanted Santa on it. I think it turned out really cute. I'll post some pictures later.
The beginning of this week was really rough. I felt awful. I caught the nasty cold that's been circulating around. I lost my voice over the weekend and didn't regain it until Wednesday.
On Wednesday Onna had two doctor appointments. She'd had an eye doctor appoinment schedule for 3 weeks. Then she got sick again last week, and needed a re-check with Mitch for her lungs.
So we saw Mitch first. For some reason, Onna is terrified of him. She says it's because he's "big". She did ok until he rolled up close to her to listen to her lungs. Then she started SCREAMING. We decided that since she's had so many problems over the last year that she should see the lung specialist. We set up an appointment to see Dr. Wallace on Dec. 28th.
Our second appointment was with the eye doctor, Dr. Larson. She's really nice and has small kids, so she was really patient with Onna. Onna did a great job with all of the tests. She had to do one where she looked into the headset at a hot air balloon. The computer then measured how well she is focusing. Then the doctor examined her. She had to hold up several lens to Onna's eyes. She was looking to see how the light was reflecting. Then they did drops and Onna had to do both tests again 15 minutes later. The results were that Onna is very far-sighted. Her right eye is a lot worse than her left and that is what is causing her to cross them. The doctor said that with no treatment, she would eventually lose use of her right eye. In order to gain it back we would have to patch it, and possibly even have surgery! The treatment for right now is GLASSES! I thought I had myself mentally ready for that possibility, but once they put those little glasses on her face, I just about lost it. I know that they will help her, and that she needs them, but I'm really struggling with this!
The choices for her frames were really limited. I could chose from blue (very boyish), red (very ugly) or brown. So I picked brown. I could have special ordered pink or purple, but it would have taken an extra week. Considering all this has happened with her eyes in only four weeks. I didn't want to add that extra time. So her first pair is going to be ugly, but I'm sure that she will have several pairs, so the next ones can be cuter!
Last night was Onna's Christmas program at daycare. It was so cute! The whole program was 6 minutes long but you can't expect too much from a group of two-year-olds!
Tomorrow we leave at 7:00 a.m. to go to Vermillion. My brother's girlfriend is graduating from USD (I'll keep my comments to myself). Anyway, we are going to help her celebrate. She's a music major and is having a karaoke party afterwards, so that should be entertaining.
I have a bunch of picures to put on, but Onna is getting impatient. She still needs a bath tonight, and then we need to get to bed. Pretty pathetic for a friday night, but that's ok right now.
I remember all those same feelings about glasses with Dawson. First of all, he was TERRIFIED of the eye doctor and about LOST IT when they had to put drops in his eyes to dialate them only for them to have to do it TWICE because the first time didn't dialate them enough! Very tramatic for us both really. Be careful with the glasses. He broke his 1st pair several times before we decided he needed the FLEX ON ones. Totally worth it. We've had these ones for quite some time. Although the FLEX ON ones are limited in frame color as well. I liked his 1st glasses better but he broke them too easily. Eventually the super glue wouldn't hold anymore! GOOD LUCK!!!
ReplyDeleteP.S. Who is Onna's eye doctor and where is she from!?? I am considering a new one that cooperates more with CHILDREN!
ReplyDeleteTracy,
ReplyDeleteWe see Dr. Jodie Larson at The Eye Care Center (the one across from Dairy Queen). She's great!! She has a 6 year-old, a 3 year-old, and an 18 month-old. Her 3 year-old needed glasses a year ago, so she was very understanding and patient with Onna. I would recommend her to anyone!