Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Another chapter

So a week ago yesterday Onna was very sick. I took her to see "doctor" Mitch, and he took her off of the Prednisone, and put her on an Advair inhaler. After about 3 doses, she perked right up. I continued to do neb treatments, but phased them out over the weekend.

Yesterday, things seemed to be going really well. I called over to have Mitch call in a prescription for the Advair (he'd given us samples). Then I picked Onna up from daycare. She wanted to go to the football game, but I knew as soon as I walked in that she wasn't going. She was doing this coughing thing... it sounds kind of like a cough, but also like she's clearing her throat, or kind of grunting. She described it like a sneeze with her mouth closed. The big problem is that she's doing it really frequently. I'm talking every 2-3 seconds!

I got her home, and gave her a neb treatment. I also gave her some cough medicine. She was hungry, so we ate. Then it was time for the game. My mom is a nurse, so I felt comfortable leaving her. I was hoping the cough medicine would take effect while I was gone. No such luck though. When I got back from the game. She was still doing it! We got ready for bed, and she fell asleep quickly. I'd set up the steamer and the vick's vapor thingy in her room. As soon as she was asleep, the cough-grunting stopped!

This morning, she woke up, and as soon as she was awake it started again. I decided (after consulting my mom, and Barb) that she needed to be checked. I made an appointment for 10:15, but I took her to daycare in the meantime. There wasn't anything that I could do for her that they couldn't do.

When we got to her appointment, they checked her out and she wasn't running a fever (I already knew that), and she was still cough-grunting. The checked her oxygen level, and listened to her lungs. They had her do a neb treatment and listened to her again. Dr. Beecher decided to have her go back to doing regular neb treatments, stay on the Advair, and make sure she's getting Claritin. I'd been giving her that before she got sick, but then with all the other meds, I didn't give it. I knew that she wasn't outside, so it would be ok to not give it. I hadn't restarted it now that she was "better". Dr. Beecher would have liked to do another round of Prednisone, but with the way it went last time I knew that there was no way that we were going to get that down her again.

So here I am with my little cough-grunting girl. Have you ever been around baby piglets?? She kind of sounds like one! I feel bad for her. It makes me feel like I have to cough just listening to her.

On a good note, we WON the football game last night 61-6!! Yeah! Our next game is on Monday night. We play Chester, and it is going to be a good game. They were tough the last time we played them. We get to play them here this time, so that is good.

3 comments: