Saturday, September 15, 2007

What a Week!

Where do I start?

The end of last week Onna was SO crabby, and I think I mentioned on my last post, I wasn't really sure if she was just tired, or getting teeth or what exactly her problem was.

Well on Sunday we were at my parents' house and I was helping her in the bathroom. She said to me, "Mommy, my pee is hot." She also had started running a low grade fever. So I was like, great she has a bladder infection. So I told my mom, and we mixed some cranberry supplement into some baby prunes (which Onna LOVES) and then I started pushing fluids!

On Monday morning I called into work, and took Onna to Dr. Beecher. Her UA came back negative for a UTI, but since she was having all the other symptoms, Dr. Beecher decided to treat it with an antibiotic anyway. I was only able to get one dose of medicine into Onna that day, because it tastes really nasty. I have to do it when she's just waking up and sneak it into her milk, otherwise she won't take it.

On Tuesday, I took Onna to daycare. When I dropped her off, she had a little "bug bite" on the back of her leg. It looked like a mosquito bite, which hers always look bad, but I couldn't really do much about it. So I picked her up Tuesday after school, and we went to Madison. It was Jordon's birthday so we took his cake over to him, and had pizza with the Boedecker Family! Then we went to Mike's house.

When I put her pajama's on there, I noticed that she has several more bites on the back of her legs and a few on the tops of her feet. I had Mike look at them too, and we talked about it possibly being from her meds. We thought that if it was from her meds, that it would be more spread out than just on her legs and feet. We checked her over really well, and put some Vaseline (that's all he had) on them, hoping at least that would help with them rubbing on her pajamas.

On Wednesday morning, I gave her milk with medicine in it right away when I got her up. Then I got her undressed to get her in the tub to get ready for daycare. Well, the whole back of each leg, and the top of each foot was COVERED in hives. She also had about 6-8 spots on each arm and some on her face! AND I'd just given her another dose, because I hadn't checked her when she'd gotten up! POOR KID!

So I took her to daycare (My Mom was in Sioux Falls), made an appointment with Mitch Poppins, went to school and to get ready for a sub (they never did find one for me), and then left school at 9:15. Mitch said that it was a reaction to the Bactrim, and to stop giving it to her (DUH). Then he said to continue her Claritin (which she takes daily for allergies anyway). He said that since she'd been on the antibiotics for a couple days, and the first UA was negative, he's hoping that the UTI is cleared up. He did put another antibiotic on file at Rafferty's if she needs it, but for right now we are going to play it by ear, and hope that she doesn't.

Now she's doing a lot better, the hives are completely gone. Poor kid she's had a tough week!

To make matters worse, I knew at work that I had a staff meeting before school on Thursday, but then on Thursday morning I completely forgot that it was Thursday (because I didn't work Wednesday)until I walked in at 8:10 and everyone else was IN the meeting! Oops! It's a good thing my boss is an understanding guy.

Friday turned out to be a good day. Since it was so cold out, my boss at the golf course decided to close the course early for the day. That meant that I got an unexpected evening off. After the crazy week I'd had, I was not going to complain about that!

The highlight of my week was seeing Mike again. He's a great guy, especially considering in order to spend time with me, on Tuesday night, he had to watch almost 3 hours of Barney! He came over to my house last night, so I was able to see him twice this week. I felt kind of spoiled!

Onna's having to adjust to "sharing" Mommy. I think she's doing fairly well considering that she's had me completely to herself pretty much her whole life. There have been a couple times that Mike has gotten a little too close to me, and Onna has NOT liked it! One time she even started sucking her thumb! Mike is really good about noticing when she's feeling like she needs my attention. (He's actually probably better about it than I am!) He does a great job with her, and he's even been reminding me to use my manners with Onna. (I forget to say please when I ask Onna to do something.)

So that was our week. Right now the golf course is scheduled to be open until October 14th. I think it will really depend on the weather. We have really slowed down over the last few weeks, so unless it gets really nice again, I can't see that it would pay to stay open that long. I'm not on the board though, and if they want to pay me to be there, I won't complain about that.

I have a big cake to finish for Wednesday night, so that is my plan other than working tonight and a day shift tomorrow. Then we have a regular week of school next week. I hope that we are well enough to go all 5 days!

3 comments:

  1. Hope little Onna is feeling better.

    You sound like you are very busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Onna! I too, am allergic to Bactrim. I have been since I had a UTI as a child and was prescribed the same medicine. Does Onna complain that it hurts to pee anymore???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Onna, I am glad that she is getting better.

    Glad to see you are getting to spend some time with Mike! :)

    ReplyDelete