This was such a fun weekend! Friday was homecoming, so we didn't have classes during the day. Each class builds their float. This was our 60th homecoming so that was the theme this year. Each class picked a decade. I was with the sophomore class, and they picked the 60's. Their slogan was "Marching Our way to Victory". The float got 1st place! YEAH!! So, we spend the morning building floats, then we break for lunch. After lunch everyone walks to Main street to watch the parade.

This year, my mom and dad decided to go to Gettysburg, to see my grandma. It's her birthday. They took Onna with them. I had to work yesterday, and so by taking her along I wouldn't need a babysitter and she could see Grandma Jean on her birthday. They left on Friday though, so that meant Onna missed the parade. Onna was ok with that though, she likes going to Gettysburg.

Anyway, on Main Street we all watch the parade and then afterwards all the students have to check back in at the high school to tear down floats (except for the winning class). As I was watching the parade, the fire trucks went by. John was driving one, and he was alone. So I hopped in with him and helped throw candy. It was fun. I've never done that before! It was really cute because the grade-school kids go through the parade first, and stop at the end of main street to collect the candy from all the other parade entries. That's also by the daycare, so there are a LOT of kids on that block. Well, as we are going through, the kids of course LOVE the fire trucks and then they recognized me and were shouting, "Hey that's Onna's MOM!"
There's my favorite fireman! Look at that empty seat beside him. Good thing I was there to help, right?

After we got done at school, I came home and made a cake for a friends little boy. I have told almost everybody NO lately for cakes. This one is for Dave's (from the golf course) son, Lane, and he's turning 4 today. He wanted a fire truck cake. I'd ordered a pan because that's what Onna wants too. So between school and the football game I did a really quick fire truck cake. It wasn't my best-ever cake, but it'll get the job done.
Dave and Lane on the firetruck

The football game that night was awesome! We played McCook Central and won 40-0. Our coach is new this year, and just came to us from there. He was so nervous on Friday that he was just about sick. I felt really bad for him. I'm really glad that we came away with a win, for our players sake, but especially for his sake. We have a good team this year, so hopefully we can make the playoffs. We'll have to see how the rest of the season goes.
The bad thing about the game is that I'd gone with John (well that part was good), but with two minutes left of the game there was a fire! Nice! That meant that I got stranded at the game. Obviously I could walk home, or get a ride with someone, which I did. Luckily it was a car fire, that was put out quickly. He came over to my house later and told me that he'd left his van at the game and rode with another fireman so that I'd have a vehicle. I noticed his van was there, but I didn't know I was supposed to take it. I guess next time I'll know. How is it that every time we have plans, there ends up being a fire?? At least it was a small, quick one!
Saturday night was really fun too. The guys all go paddle fishing next weekend. So yesterday they had to get the weights all ready. We went out to a farm near here and the guys did that, and made ribs, and the girls visited in the house. After dark, we had a campfire, guitar music and of course marshmallows for the kids (big and little). It was so relaxing. I haven't had a night like that in SO long!
This morning was breakfast at the golf course (I was NOT working). Then John's mowing, so I got to read a book, lay on the couch and RELAX. I'm working on laundry... I should vacuum my house, but I'm not sure if I feel like doing that or not. I haven't talked to my mom to see when they'll be back home. I'm guessing it will be around supper time tonight. I think I might go take a nap.
Glad you had a good weekend!! You have needed a good time and a break for a LONG time!!
ReplyDelete