There are many days when I wonder why I do my job. Most of the time I LOVE it, but there are days when it just seems like I will never get through to certain students.
Last year I had an 8th grade girl who was in serious trouble. She's on an IEP, and is from a "troubled" home. Both of her parents live there, so that is more than many of my students have, but this girl's situation is different. For her birthday last year, her mom took her to get her tongue pierced. The student has at least 3 or 4 tattoos, and also has her eyebrow, nose, lip and belly button pierced. She had friends that were Juniors in high school, and was drinking and partying with them on a regular basis. She was unable to make it through a single class period without falling asleep. She was also tardy about 4 out of the 5 school days each week.
In 7th and 8th grade, it is highly unlikely for a student to be held back because of grades. Studies have shown, that it does no good, and if anything only increases dropout rates. Well, the students know this, and those who aren't personally motivated by grades or elgibility requirements put no effort into their school work. This particular student finished last year's Science class with a 35%.
This year started off a little differently. She's a Freshman, so any classes that she fails, she will have to repeat in order to graduate. Some of her friends that she was "hanging out with" are now Seniors and have jobs, and are "moving on". Some of her other friends have moved away. She was required for FACS class to make a quillow (a quilt/pillow). She had to pay $15 towards the material for the project and was unable to come up with the money. The school offered her a position vacuuming the library in the mornings before school to earn the money. Not only did she earn her quillow money, she did such a good job that she was hired on for the entire school year!
She stays awake during her classes, and has handed in her homework on time. She has study hall last period each. She usually completes her homework before the end of the day each day, so that she doesn't have to take it home!
I am so proud of her! The results for the first term were just published in the paper, and she made the B HONOR ROLL! That is an accomplishment that she has never done in her entire life. She was just beaming when she found out that it was even a possibility, and then when it actually happened, she was estatic!
She deserves total credit for all of her hard work. She EARNED the grades that she got this quarter. I did nothing different this year, than last year. Actually last year, I'd pretty much given up on her. I really felt like I'd never reach her. This year I know she's seen the results of her work. I so hope that she keeps it up. She didn't get any reinforcement at home for what she did, so I made her a fleece tie-pillow as a keepsake. I really felt like she deserved something for the positive changes that she's made.
So if nothing else, one of my students has been successful this year. I have one more who is a senior. He has to pass EVERY class that he's in to graduate. He's NEVER done that before. Last quarter we just sqeaked him through. We are coming up on mid-terms again, so I think I have my work cut out for me there!
I know I told you before but I think what you did for her was awesome! These kids have their work cut out for them and a great teacher can make a world of difference! I am sure you will find a way to help the boy as well!
ReplyDeletethat student is someone to be very proud of. hopefully she keeps up the good work!!
ReplyDelete