Saturday, November 10, 2007

Awesome Cake

This is a cake that I did this week for a boy in our neighborhood. He was having a late birthday party, and wanted this jersey as his cake. I couldn't help but think of the Ferbers as I did it. The picture looks blue, but the frosting was really purple! (For those of you who don't know it is the jersey for Adrian Peterson who plays for the MN Vikings.)
~
I have several cakes lined up for the end of the month. My friends who are twins (remember Danny), have a birthday on the 30th. I have a NASCAR pan, so I'll do that for them. I haven't decided yet if I'm doing one for both of them, or doing them separately. They like different drivers, and they will be 24, so I probably should do them separately. That's a lot more work for me though. And I can't forget about Barb and Britton! I'm not sure what I'm going to do for them yet, I guess it will be a surprise. I just know it has to be WHITE cake, right Barb?
~
Onna and I are alone again this weekend. My family has been busy and away from home for the last 3 weekends. It's been kind of nice with Onna and I having so much one-on-one time, but sometimes I get lonely too. That's why it was so nice last weekend to celebrate Dawn's birthday with her. This weekend we don't have anything planned. I think Mike is working. I talked to him on Thursday night, but we didn't talk about this weekend at all, so I'm assuming he's busy.
~
Our biggest news here is that Onna has changed her bedtime routine. It used to be that she fell asleep on the couch with me, and then I carried her up to her bed. That was after a transition from me rocking her to sleep. Now she has begun to fall asleep IN her bed. The only bad thing is that she wants me to lay down with her, which I do for now. She's been used to falling asleep with me for almost 3 years, so it probably won't change overnight. The trouble with that is, usually if I lay down in there, I fall asleep too. Sometimes I don't wake up until several hours later. That's a habit that I'm going to have to break.
~
Along with that, she also decided that toddlers don't wear Pull-ups. She refers to herself as a toddler now because she is in the "toddler room" at daycare. She's been potty trained during the day for over a year now, but she's always worn Pull-ups to bed. She'd been wet most mornings. Well, the evening she decided she wasn't wearing a Pull-up, I explained to her that she could not pee in her training pants. She's had several accidents, but she is making progress. She's also decided that panties are more comfortable than training pants, so she prefers those. It doesn't really matter to me, because if she's wet, she's really wet, so the training pants don't make that much difference.
~
I've been super stressed about my daycare bill lately. Tracy and Barb helped me recently figure out some questions that I had about my daycare assistance. Last year the state paid almost half of my daycare expense. This year I got a raise, so they decreased my assistance dramatically. (from about $180/month to around $10/month) I understand that their goal is to get people off assistance, and I'm proud that I'm making progress, but it seems like such a slap in the face to get a raise and then get additional bills, so that my raise ends up COSTING me money in the end. Right now, my daycare ends up being about 35% of my net income. It's hard to make ends meet with expenses like that, especially with the holidays approaching.
~
On that note, I better get going. I'm going to clean house today. If I get stuff done today, I can bum around tomorrow. That sounds like a good plan to me! Have a great weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for coming by to visit, come back anytime! I must say that cake looks very cute, even if I am a Carolina Panthers fan, lol. Good luck with the training pants, it sounds like she'll get it in no time, my sister is going through all that with her son who will be 3 tomorrow, he is still doing the training pants thing for bedtime, but it won't be long now.

    I hate to hear that about daycare. It is SO expensive. I was a daycare teacher for 4 years and I could never believe what they charge! I hope things get a little smoother, I do admire you for being a single mother and providing for your cutie pie;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That jersey cake is awesome. You are so talented.

    Sorry to hear about your daycare. That is too bad that the state takes away all that money for daycare.

    Your little gal is growing up so much. Sounds like she will be potty trained soon. It is all in their own time. Both my kids were 3 years old when they were potty trained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawson would LOVE, LOVE that cake. Although the Vikings were HORRIBLE yesterday! ~sigh~

    ReplyDelete