Friday, January 15, 2010

Kindergarten Shots

Onna went in for kindergarten shots yesterday. I didn't tell her what we were doing, until we were right in front of the clinic. When I told her, she went BALLISTIC! She wouldn't get out of the van, so I climbed in and got her. Then I hauled her in, and she was fighting with me to try to get out of the clinic. She was screaming, kicking, pulling my hair, you name it! (SHANE) Anyway, we finally got back to the room, I put her in "the hold".

After she'd had shots the last time, we'd had a conversation about keeping her muscles soft like mashed potatoes. We talked about how hard it is to stick a fork in an apple, and how when she fights, the nurse has to jam the needle in. So I reminded her of that conversation, and she was calming down when the nurse came back.

It wasn't just the nurse though, it was both nurses, and all three of the office staff! :) Obviously with the ruckus that she'd made, they thought they were going to need some backup. We put her up on the table, and I stayed by her head. I kept eye contact with her, and they did two at a time. She had a total of 5 shots (she says she only felt 3). She didn't even whimper! When she was done she got 5 stickers.

Kay, the nurse, knows John really well. She told Onna to make John go buy her TWO candy bars for a treat. Onna said, "I don't really like candy bars, I'd rather have apples!"

OK, I'll eat the candy bars... I think I earned them.

No comments:

Post a Comment