I had two really nice compliments about Onna over the last couple days and I wanted to share/brag a little bit.
To me, she seems really smart, and I try REALLY hard to teach her manners etc. This weekend after John and I were done golfing, I was visiting with a lady (Nancy). She has a son that is Onna's age at daycare, her husband is a fireman and on the golf course board of directors. She and I have gotten to know each other pretty well over the last couple of years. She also happens to be one of the kindergarten teachers here. We started visiting about the kids (she also has three other children). She was one that helped with Onna's pre-school screening last spring. Ever since then she has just ADORED Onna. She tells me how cute she is, how smart she is, and how much she enjoys listening to her. During our conversation, we talked about how it seems Onna would be ready for kindergarten now, but she won't be 4 until December so she won't be even be able to start next year. Bummer! Anyway the real compliment was when she said, "Oh I hope I get Onna in MY class!"
The other compliment was last night at gymnastics. One of her daycare staff (Jess) was there with her daughter for the next class. I needed to talk to her about some other stuff, so we stuck around after Onna's class, and watched her and visited. Jess told me all about how Onna is a "rule follower" and never has to be reminded to use manners. She said she always says please and thank you and is kind to others! I'm SO glad that even though she doesn't always display these behaviors at home, she does have them and is showing them to other people.
We had one awkward moment after gymnastics. While I was visiting with Jess, Onna colored the picture they'd given her. She finished coloring it and during a little break, showed it to one of the gymnastics instructors. The instructor was a young girl, and was nice about it. Then said "Why don't you take it home and show it to your dad?" Onna got this funny look on her face and just came running over to Jess and me. She said, "Uhh, she just said to show it to my dad?" Jess and I both said that she didn't know that her dad doesn't live with her (hasn't seen for two years!). Then Jess said, "You can show it to me, and I bet your Grandma and Grandpa would like to see it!"
I'm glad Jess was there. I know I would have thought of something to say, but it sure helped having her right there to distract Onna. I know that as Onna meets people, she will have to explain this situation. That stinks for her. She handled it well though. Poor kid....
You're doing an AWESOME job raising Onna by yourself! Your family provides another positive influence for Onna. She is a lucky little girl!
ReplyDeleteLaura
Sounds like you have a wonderful little girl. It sure does give a mom a boost when they are told positive things about their children. Just warms the heart!
ReplyDelete