Monday, January 13, 2014

Our engagement story

I want to preserve the memory of the special day of our engagement.

The Saturday before Christmas (December 21st). We were spending the day in Dell Rapids with John's family. We did Christmas dinner and presents. Then we played Pinochle. Before everyone headed out for the day (Chris and Sally were going to the Hovaldt Christmas, Terry was going to work) we had my birthday cake.

Anna Mae had made Jello cake. They put candles on it, and sang happy birthday. Onna told me to be sure and close my eyes when I made a wish. I did and when I opened them the jewelry box was on the table. I wasn't sure at first what it contained. I opened it and asked Onna which finger to wear it on. She said, "Your marriage finger!" John said, "If you don't want to marry me, we can take it back." Anna Mae said, "I think that's your question, you better answer it!" I said, "Yes, yes of course I'll marry you!" Congratulations and hugs followed.

I found out later, that Onna had known the night before. She'd kept it a secret from me, that little stinker!! John had showed her the ring the previous night. We'd eaten at the golf course and they went out together to start the cars. Sneaky!

When we were having supper Friday night, we were discussing plans for the next day. John made the statement, "If you get to my house at 8:00, you can have anything you want." I said, "Anything I want!?!? Be careful!" He then said, that we had to get there at exactly 8:00, not 7:59 or 8:01!

That Saturday morning, I'd never seen Onna so motivated to get somewhere on time! She was ready and waiting at the door at 7:40! We went over to John's street early, and parked down the block. She made sure I was pulling into his driveway at exactly 8:00! She called him and said "We are here!"

She'd asked me what I would want if we got there on time. I told her a ring! She tried to convince me that money or something else would be a better option. After I'd received the ring, she said, "Now do you see why I wanted you to ask for money?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment